Forum

donatenew

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ultrasound treatment for Dystonia?

Ultrasound treatment for Dystonia? 1 year 1 month ago #4101

• David H
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Read the news recently about a team at St Mary's hospital using MRI-guided Focussed Ultrasound (MRgFUS) to destroy tissue sending mistimed electrical signals to muscles - in this case a 52yr old man with uncontrollable tremors in his right hand. And that Dr Peter Bain, consultant neurologist with Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, thinks non-invasive ultrasound deep-brain surgery has an enormous future and could be used to treat other movement disorders.
I wondered why we'd not heard of this before. Found nothing on this website apart from ultrasound used to find which muscles to inject with Botox. Web shows this has been written about before and work has started for MS, ET and Parkinsons. Is the Dystonia Society aware of any research to use this to target Dystonia and maybe cure my Spasmodic Torticollis?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38157770
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by David H. Reason: weblink
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: catlady2015

Ultrasound treatment for Dystonia? 1 year 4 weeks ago #4102

• roadrunner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have contacted the Dystonia Society and they have sent me the following which answers your question:-

"You might find it useful to see the Imperial College write up of the treatment you refer to - I’ve copied the link below with the full text.
The funding remit is quite clear that this trial is for essential tremor only, and follows on from previous research. This current trial is ‘full’ and the results will be published at a later date. This extract from the ‘comments for editors’ partly answers your question:

2. MRI-guided focused ultrasound for brain in the future
The Trust hopes that the procedure will be made widely available on the NHS once the trials have concluded and the effectiveness of the treatment proved. The treatment will then need to be approved by NICE and NHS England before it can be rolled out across the NHS. The current trial is restricted to patients with essential tremor only. It is anticipated that new trials will be set up to examine the benefits of the treatment for people with Parkinson’s disease and other types of tremor, including multiple sclerosis associated tremor in the near future.

www.imperial.nhs.uk/about-us/news/trust-...nd-for-brain-surgery

Dystonic tremor isn’t mentioned specifically with the phrase ‘other types of tremor’ and we would hope to clarify this with Dr Bain at some point."

Ultrasound treatment for Dystonia? 11 months 3 weeks ago #4105

• Dee
  • Fresh Boarder
Hope this treatment can help with the head tremor caused by cervical dystonia that I have

Ultrasound treatment for Dystonia? 11 months 2 weeks ago #4106

• BazzaB
  • Fresh Boarder
Like Dee I also hope they will exrend the research ASAP to include relief of cervical dystonia symptoms. As neither Botox or denervation have helped I now find I am no longer living, simply surviving with very limited quality of life. Only remaining option now DBS which is not a prospect I am looking forward to.
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds