donatenew

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: TMJ treatment for Blepharospasm and Torticollis

TMJ treatment for Blepharospasm and Torticollis 1 year 4 months ago #4037

• youster
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Amanda
Yes, I am having treatment with Andre so it is a bit worrying to read your posting.

What were your symptoms? How long did it take for your symptoms to reappear? What did Andre say when your symptoms returned? Did he suggest retainers at all?

Sorry for all the questions but I am interested as I am still wearing my lower splint.

Kind regards
Liz
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TMJ treatment for Blepharospasm and Torticollis 1 year 4 months ago #4038

• Amanda6
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Youster,
My symptoms were constant pain in the back of my head, down the side of my neck, and in my face, eye and ear on one side. I had a loud jaw click on each opening on one side, and jaw cracking on biting on the other side. I feel constantly tired, and foggy headed, and have difficulty bending my neck down to read, as it causes my head to black out. I clench in my sleep quite badly and wake myself up due to pain caused by clenching. My symptoms reappeared the same day as the splint was removed, when I next ate without wearing the splint. Andre said that I couldn't continue to wear the splint, as it would cause my molars to compress into the bone, and he wasn't very helpful. I did get retainers, but they don't help at all compared with the splint. The splint was enabling my lower jaw to position more forwards in my sleep which helped relax my jaw muscles, but the retainers don't do that.

TMJ treatment for Blepharospasm and Torticollis 1 year 4 months ago #4039

• youster
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Amanda
Thank you for your posting. I am sorry that your symptoms have returned. From reading your description, your symptoms sound more severe than mine. Is there anything else that can be done for you?
Kind regards
Liz

TMJ treatment for Blepharospasm and Torticollis 11 months 1 week ago #4108

Hi everyone,

I have been reading these posts with interest. I had a brace a few years ago by an orthodentist who has since been discredited. Since then I wear a removable retainer at night and have a fixed one. I wonder if this, combined with a period of stress could have set off my dystonia. If you are able to give any further updates on your treatment, I'd be very interested in hearing.

TMJ treatment for Blepharospasm and Torticollis 11 months 1 week ago #4109

• youster
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Catlady

I don't think anyone really seems to understand what causes dystonia but I started dental treatment as a result of being diagnosed with dystonia (neck and eyes) as I wasn't happy with the Botox treatment offered to me.

Whilst I am not 100% back to normal, I can say that my quality of life has greatly improved and my original symptoms have disappeared - frequent blinking and neck twisting to the left and down being the main ones that caused me problems. It had got so bad that I was considering giving up work. The only area which seems to be resisting treatment now is my balance which, although better than it was, it not as good as it should be (in my opinion).

My original two braces have been removed and I am currently wearing 'train tracks' top and bottom with elastics. Looking at my teeth; they are not yet all in the correct position, but moving in the right direction. I think I have a few more months of treatment left and am hoping for even more improvement.

Kind regards

TMJ treatment for Blepharospasm and Torticollis 11 months 1 week ago #4110

Hi youster,

Thank you for the update, I'd be really interested to hear how things progress.

I have cervical dystonia, which came on quite suddenly and quite early compared to most from what I can tell (I'm in my early thirties). I had been getting botox treatment, but can't have the treatment right now because I am pregnant and the dystonia has crept back to the point where I am no longer able to commute into work. I am going to manage until baby is born, but in the long term I'd hope to find a way to not need the botox.

My jaw does click when I eat and I now know that the orthodentist who treated me has since gone out of practice with lots of complaints against him, so I'm thinking this is something I might look into.

I hope things continue to improve for you.
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds