Forum

donatenew

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How do I maintain an income with Blepharospasm?

How do I maintain an income with Blepharospasm? 2 years 3 months ago #3724

• Bookworm 62
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Does anyone with Blepharospasm or other facial dystonias have any advice or experiences they can share regarding staying in employment? I am a 53 year old woman and have had Blepharospasm for three years. I am otherwise fit, fairly youthful and am single mum to a teenage son who is probably going to be in education for about another 4-7 years. So I really need to maintain an income. My condition is (now) reasonably stable most of the time but I still have good days and bad days and recently had a 'blip' where i continued to deteriorate for about 3-4 weeks after treatment, making travelling and working very difficult. My current employers are bending over backwards to help me and I only work 20 hours a week anyway. But my job is mostly computer based which I feel is not helping. After struggling to keep working in my current job for the last three years I am considering pursuing retirement on ill-health grounds. However, I will only get a small pension compared with my current pay. I have been wondering if I should consider seeking to register as disabled or if there are any other things I can do to seek support or assistance if I feel I can't carry on working. Any suggestions or experiences would be helpful. Thanks.
BW,
Janine P.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How do I maintain an income with Blepharospasm? 2 years 3 months ago #3726

• PJS
  • Junior Boarder
Try speaking to you local CAB for advice, they will have a local disability officer who may be able to advise you.
In the meantime I would try to hang onto your current job as best as you can as supportive employers are sometimes hard to find.
All the best
Pjs
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds