Warning

Copy failed

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Diet and alcohol effects?

Diet and alcohol effects? 2 years 2 months ago #3746

• William
  • Junior Boarder
I have discussed this with my fellow sufferers as we meet every three months in the waiting room for our Botox injections:
Does eating help alleviate the involuntary neck movements?
The answer seems to be in 60% of cases then it does, even when we aren't hungry.
Does alcohol help alleviate the involuntary neck movements?
100% yes, but then the next day your neck seems to take revenge, but in some situations then if you need to attend a social occasion and are having a bad neck day then getting mildly drunk is a decent option.
Have you tried an alternative treatment and did it work?
We have all tried the lot now, from yoga, reiki, acupuncture to homeopathic and chiropractic treatments but Clonazepam seems to work the best. There's definitely a placebo effect with some treatments but it it doesn't seem to last very long.
So I'd be interested to hear what works for you, even temporarily, since I have my next injections on Friday 30th and need some inspiration.
Cheers, Will.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Diet and alcohol effects? 2 years 2 months ago #3749

• Koala
  • Silver Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi,
Over the years I have come to the conclusion, that we are all so different with our dystonia and what helps me may not help you. But I do know any stress makes us all feel worse and our dystonia worse, lack of sleep makes our dystonia worse. Sometimes yoga helps me when I am not too lazy or too tired to go to the classes and don't like doing at home by myself just in case you get on floor and cant get up!

I think one glass of wine at a function makes my shakes and neck not as bad, as I think it relaxes the system, as you are always thinking people are looking at you and what do I look like NOW! So yes one or two glasses of wine is good for me. I think drinking more only depresses me, so I would think don't drink much but enjoy a couple.

Like I said we are all so different with what works to help us get through the day or night.
If we can only try and keep happy most of the time, I think this helps also.

I hope this helps you. Have a good day.

Diet and alcohol effects? 2 years 2 months ago #3753

• William
  • Junior Boarder
I don't think that's why my doctors (all three of them) recommended alcohol.
Frankly, I don't give a damn what I look like when I'm out and about, and all my friends know what condition I have since I tell them about it.
Stress can definitely trigger it, I know that from experience, but alcohol affects our brains including our sense of balance if we get sloshed so it has an effect on the same part of the brain that causes the involuntary movement.
I now live in Prague and am treated at the neurological faculty at Charles University hospital, and the healthcare system here is fantastic (although there's still some needless red tape).
I don't think that a doctor in the UK would ever recommend beer as a solution to anything, but here then they actually care about treating the disorder, whatever it takes.
Cheers, Will.
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds