donatenew

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Anyone with oculogyric crisis?

Anyone with oculogyric crisis? 3 years 4 months ago #3277

• Sunny
  • Junior Boarder
Hey at all!
I think I suffer from oculogyric crises + hand and foot dystonia. Well, the hand and foot dystonia have been diagnosed yet the neurologist does not really know what I might have with the eyes.. Well, my eyes turn upwards for a few seconds and it hurts. When the eyeballs are like that I flexion the head backwards and open the mouth a little bit. So, I think it must be and oculogyric crisis.
What do you think?
Anyone with the same problem here?

Sunny
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone with oculogyric crisis? 2 years 7 months ago #3645

• tetan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Sunny,
I have similar eye movements, which my neurologist however would not classify as oculogyric crisis. She said they do not last for long enough to be classified such. The eye rolling and upward turning was the first symptoms of my dystonia. They last for a few seconds, before diagnosis and treatment there could be series of those, for maybe a minute at a time, combined with eyelid closure and also spasms in the face, most pronounced around the mouth, causing the mouth slightly to open. Lately also foot and hand problems have appeared. I am on levodopa medication which does help for the symptoms and get botulin injections around the eyes.
There are at least some genetic dystonias for instance due to TH deficiency (tyrosine hydroxylase) that can give abnormal eye movements. Some sources also classify oculogyric crisis as a dystonic reaction, which seems reasonable since the muscles controlling the eye position contract when they shold not. However, several neurologists did not at all recognize the eye movements to be dystonic.
-tetan
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds