Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dystonia Society forum!
Read the Terms and Conditions

TOPIC: Tumeric helpful with pain and spasms

Tumeric helpful with pain and spasms 3 months 1 week ago #4173

• Buddy55
  • Fresh Boarder
I have been diagnosed with Spasmotic Torticollis for over 7-8 years now. My Dystonia is believed to have been caused by a rearing horse that threw me about 10 yrs ago. I receive Botox Injections every 3 months and after about a week of the injections, I feel relief from the pain and spasms, although not 100%. I recently read about the anti-inflammatory properties of Tumeric. I started drinking "Golden Milk" at night before I go to sleep, and take Tumeric Capsules every morning. It has definitely helped me reduce the use of Ibuprofen which i was previously taking too much of.
I am not a Paleo representative or sales person. I did read about the Paleo Golden Milk and tried it as it has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. If you would like to try it, you can Google the recipe. At first I found it a "hassle" to gather the ingredients and make the milk every night. Now, it is very simple.

As far as my strong will and determination: I am a Registered Nurse and have worked in Acute Care (hospital) 21 years. This past March I retired from management as the stress of acute care caused a lot of tension in my neck, making it worse. I retired from acute care but transferred to Clinical Nursing. I had decided that this disease may limit me a bit but would not control my life. I was hired on at a Cancer Clinic where we do Radiation Oncology. I see cancer patients receiving radiation therapy once a week, I see patients for follow up after they have been done for a month, and I also see breast cancer patients pre-op before mastectomies, lumpectomies.

When the Botox begins to wear off and I am having spasms, I often appear to have Parkinsons or appear nervous to the patients at first site. I often explain to them after introducing myself, that "I have Dystonia in my neck so you will see me shake...it's ok. This is just how I am and it doesn't affect my work." 99% of the patients appear to feel at ease immediately, and we resume the conversation about how I am here to help them. Others have asked what dystonia is and I explain it to them briefly.

My hobbies include horse back riding, visits with my grandson, and some leather works. Last year I was in the Rose Parade on an equestrian drill team. I was captured on TV. When i look at the video closely, I can see some tremors but i'm ok with it and so is my team. I thank God for every day that I can make a difference in this world, even with the condition that I have. I hope you will know that none of this post is meant to boast, my life is not easy. It's to let you all know that you can still have hope and joy in the midst of your trials.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds