Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reduction in hours at work

Reduction in hours at work 3 years 7 months ago #3138

• jayceebrie
  • Silver Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has asked to reduce their working hours? I am seriously considering asking for a reduction from 37hrs to 27hrs, just working in the mornings. I find my neck gets worse during the afternoon.
I am going to ask for this for 6 months.
At the moment we are going through a major re-structure of my part of the servie, Mobile Libraries, and I know my job will go as a result. We will be going from 10 vehicles to 2!!
This is quite stressful for me as I manage all the staff and I want to support them but also look after my own health. Also stress increases the pains in my neck.
Anyone got any advice please?
Jayne
Jayne Wainwright
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reduction in hours at work 3 years 6 months ago #3147

• yvoaus
  • Senior Boarder
I applied for PPI in Feb, still waiting to hear from them, apparently there can be a 6 month wait! If I qualify [cervical dystonia sufferer] then I can get reduced working hours as a disabled person. I'm s/e so at least can rest my neck and shoulders when necessary. It is difficult to work as I find it hard to use both hands together. Driving is not possible either due to spasms in the shoulders when both hands are on the steering wheel, and I cant look over my left shoulder. Hope this helps.

Reduction in hours at work 3 years 6 months ago #3191

• Tez
  • Silver Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I thought anybody Can get reduced hours if your employer agrees ?

Obv I guess this means a reduction in salary so it's whether you can afford to earn less.

I am finding it hard at work was off for 6 months and since I got back I have been using my annual leave to have 1-2 days off a week but obviously this can't go on.

I am seeing my HR person at the end of this month and will find out what my options are for going part time. I didn't know about benefits, sounds like you have to wait a long time. Maybe I could draw my pension and still work part time ?

Not helped if your org is going through a reconfiguration, maybe you can get redundancy ?

Good luck

Reduction in hours at work 3 years 5 months ago #3194

• jayceebrie
  • Silver Boarder
:woohoo:
I have been allowed to reduce my hours but with restrictions. I have to travel to my base every day, which is 18 miles there and 18 miles back. I have to get advanced permission to go to another library to work? I was told that I could start later if I don't feel well enough to drive!! If I don't feel fit to drive I won't be going in at all.
I am classed with a group of staff called Senior Library managers. They are based throughout the County and are responsible for a cluster of libraries. They have a base but they are hardly ever there as they travel round their other libraries. Why am I being treated differently??
My line manager said, 'I haven't had a day's sickness in 20 years' now I took that as undermining my condition and I took offence.
I have written a letter back to my line manager quoting all the correspondence she has received from the Dystonia society, my Neurologist, my Doctor and even the County Council's Doctor. They all advise that I should work closer to home so I don't have to drive as much. Or close enough that I could catch a bus.
My line managers boss had a word with me yesterday because I had copied him in to the letter. He is taking it seriously but when he was talking to me I could tell he was sticking up for my manager. He said the remark she made about not being sick for 20 years was a flippant remark and I mis-interpreted it!!! Would she say it to me if I was in a wheelchair????
I am really hoping that after this review I am offered redundancy. I hate coming to work.

Jayne
Jayne Wainwright

Reduction in hours at work 3 years 5 months ago #3195

• Tez
  • Silver Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
That's appalling employers have to make reasonable adjustments for chronic long term conditions. I agree that hr people and managers have no idea how to behave sometimes, I must admit my last two meetings with Ming and hr haven't been very productive and makes you feel they would rather get rid of you. I wish I would be offered redundancy I'd take it like a shot, life's too short to put up with that sort of attitude. My journey is 13 miles each way, it's tiring in itself.

Don't let them bully you into resigning, have you a union to represent you ?

All the best

Theresa

Reduction in hours at work 3 years 5 months ago #3205

• Supergran
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
How does one decide enough is enough when it comes to work?......please take this question seriously! I have slept for 2 days following a holiday of one week which was great...loved the food....loved the accommodation....loved the views....loved the boat trips...was great and here comes the but!!!!....I had one breakfast were I could not get the food to my mouth or butter a slice of toast or pour a cup of tea and was very well supported until the medication kicked in, I was then reminded daily to take some rest which i did and there really is nothing to complain about in respect of the holiday. I planned days off work before and after the week away to allow for rest if anything went wrong.

I feel that my chair at home and my own bed etc facilitates pain management and some spasm control but i have persevered at work regardless. I am scared to give up work as I dont know how I would cope at home doing what? I am at the same time concentrating at work to hide how bad things really get.....I should add here that 2 weeks ago I had my spine scanned because of the pain which I struggle with daily and I have 3 days before I return to work from my annual leave and I am feeling so unsettled can not believe a holiday has done this to me. oh and just for good measure I have been assessed as eligible for a carer!!!! how good does life get!!!

So when does one decide that work is too much and what does one do if one does not work?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds