Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Work Problems

Re: Work Problems 4 years 11 months ago #1923

• chihuahua
  • Senior Boarder
hi deec,
No I don't mind you replying to me at all. It's a relief to get it out of my system.
It's a very complicated story, which would take me a long time to explain. But briefly, I only work part time and I was told that the new 'management' wanted continuity in the classrooms and because I refused to work fulltime that the only position would be with a one to one child. Myself and another colleague would work a jobshare. I called in my union and the local authority (who were absolutely useless).
I have my suspicions that there were other reasons for making it difficult for me. I have an unblemished record. (I'm sure you understand what I mean).
My dystonia is very easy to spot and even more so when I'm stressed. My colleagues would voice their concern for me as the tremor would become so much more obvious.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Work Problems 4 years 11 months ago #1924

• deec
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Stress really aggrevates it doesnt it? I am not in the union, pulled out after the last strike a couple of years ago. I sometimes think it was a mistake but dont know how helpful they would be anyway. I dont blame you for refusing to work full time. I struggle FT with 3 kids. I want to reduce my hours but the thought of approaching the authority about it makes me ill. I know it will not be an easy process. Has anyone suggested any way to help you with the situation at all? What did the union say to you, if you dont mind me asking? I have an eye condition to top it all off and walk funny as you can imagine. So the kids do comment now and again. That is not my problem though, its my bosses attitudes. I feel a day at the school is more stress than I need to be honest. I am general office dogsbody running around like a headless chicken until I can hardly walk.

Re: Work Problems 4 years 11 months ago #1925

• chihuahua
  • Senior Boarder
Hi deec,
have you approached your GP about this? My GP has been so understanding and supportive I don't know what I would have done with out her and it's documented.
The union too have supported me, but despite what they say (they say what they think I want to hear) I don't think they have the clout to really change anything in my situation. But at least the 'management' have to tread carefully, and lawfully.
To be honest I am reaching a point that I am too tired to fight it anymore.
My children are grown up and have left home, so unlike you I don't have the added strain of that. Having children and working full time is difficult enough, without this condition.

Re: Work Problems 4 years 11 months ago #1927

• jhan
  • Junior Boarder
deec and chihuahua, you both need all the support you can get. After sending the original posting on here I got support from The Dystonia Society Advocacy and Support Services. I was provided with a detailed letter of support which is excellent to inform my employer about my condition and how it feels to suffer from dystonia. They also provided me with leaflets to include with the letter. I have also got very good support from my union, from Acas and also from the Equality and Human Rights Commission. Look them up on the internet and ring them.

I have also built up a good body of medical support from my GP who wrote me a letter of support, as well as from other places. I received a letter from an NHS neurologist when I was first diagnosed with dystonia. I also referred myself to my LEA Occupational Health who provided a further body of support. I asked through my union for a workplace evaluation, which was conducted by the LEA Health and Safety Officer. I got a report with recommendations for adjustments to support my condition. If an employer refuses to allow you access to such support or refuses to implement the suggested changes it starts to become a disability discrimination issue.

By the sound of it both of you, as well as myself, have suffered harrassment over your condition. I cannot understand how a headteacher can shout at you over such issues, or worse still parents and children mock you for being disabled. This is unacceptable. At times people have not given me the support that I have expected or desired, but I have found that when I have got back to them and explained better the situation I have got better support from them. My union has been supporting me now for two years. The trouble is that these issues can be long drawn out and that is the difficulty when you feel the extra stress which aggravates the dystonia. Good luck, but do not give up!
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by jhan. Reason: typo mistakes

Re: Work Problems 4 years 11 months ago #1930

• chihuahua
  • Senior Boarder
Hi jhan,
thanks for that, I will certainly be contacting the Advocacy service if I need them.
That's why this forum is so essential for dystonia suffers like us. We can share useful information.

Re: Work Problems 4 years 10 months ago #1962

• iwatts
  • Senior Boarder
Hi
Why is at all school people - I am an assistant headteacher in a secondary school and have been suffering since July. I am happy to go back to school and do my assistant headteacher duties, but feel very paranoid about teaching - when I go into spasms, or have tremors in the classroom, I cannot teach properly, and become potentially the butt end of a lot of jokes.

I have just sent an email asking to be referred to the advocacy service. I just hope I get some answers.

Ian
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds