donatenew

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Work Problems

Work Problems 5 years 5 days ago #1778

• jhan
  • Junior Boarder
I am a teacher and suffer from neck dystonia. Last year I took out a grievance against my headteacher over the offensive things that he said when taking money off me in a restructure. Even though we showed that correct procedures were not been followed we lost this part of the grievance. We did however win another part of the grievance related to my disability with regards to name calling by students. Being called 'Noddie' on a corridor by children I do not teach is pretty degrading, doubly so when some year heads did nothing about it. The Head was told to review his equality and diversity policy, and to provide refresher training for staff and students. I was to have a 'workplace assessment' and to be given a mentor to provide support in regular support meetings. It was recommended that there should be a review of pupil discipline procedure, in particular related to the abuse of staff members. Since the grievance which was in May and the workplace assessment which was in June, the Headteacher has totally ignored all of these recommendations. Has anybody else had similar problems with employers and anyone got suggestions for what should happen next?
Last Edit: 5 years 5 days ago by jhan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Work Problems 5 years 5 days ago #1781

Hi Jhan,
I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've had within your school. We have an advocacy service which may be able to support you with this - if you call our Helpline (0845 458 6322 / 020 7793 3658) they can refer you to our advocate.
Chris
Forum Moderator
Trust Fundraiser & Communications Manager @ The Dystonia Society

Re: Work Problems 5 years 3 days ago #1785

• jhan
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for your reply Chris. I would be interested in talking to you.

Re: Work Problems 4 years 11 months ago #1835

• deec
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi jhan
i was wondering how you are and how you are getting on with your work? The reason being, I too work in a school, have Dopa responsive dystonia and also hassle at my work. I work in the school office and my office manager and head teacher are not very nice to work for. I have hassle over appointments etc. I thought we could discuss school work problems and help each other if possible?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhan

Re: Work Problems 4 years 11 months ago #1921

• chihuahua
  • Senior Boarder
Oh jhan, I have just read your post. I have a head tremor, speech problems and also a tremor in my right hand.
I too work in education (infant) I am a teaching assistant. I have had similar problems to you. I worked for 17 years in a classroom environment and was very happy. We had a complete change of management (long story). and I was told that I would no longer be working in the classroom but with a one to one child with special needs.
This child is aggressive and has actually pulled me over and hit me with a plastic drawer in the head. I could go on but you get the picture. I've been off sick now for three months because the stress makes the dystonia so much worse (as I'm sure you know). I have involved my union and I am considering my options.
Mostly I am very upset as I explained in great detail to management that I didn't think I would be able to cope with a child who has very specific needs and indeed my job description does not mention this. I feel as though the rug has been pulled out from under me. My doctor is wonderful and very understanding and has supported me throughout this mess. I'm not sure how this will end, but I fear I will probably give in and leave because I find coping with the stress of it too much.
I have seen an occupational health doctor twice, each one, I fear does not fully understand that the smallest amount of stress can make the dystonia so much worse.
I have had problems with appointments, on one occasion the head actually shouted at me in the corridor that I hadn't given her enough warning in advance. I had mistakenly thought that it was in a weeks time and not the same week. I was very apologetic, but that wasn't enough for her.
I've also been called 'noddy' by some of the parents.
I've tried very very hard not to let this condition affect my life but sometimes I have to accept that it does!
I am 56 years old and have had dystoina for about 20 years now, so a long time to learn to live with it.
I just wish that other people would at least try to understand how difficult it can be just living with dystonia.
I just hope that things will improve for you.

Re: Work Problems 4 years 11 months ago #1922

• deec
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi chihuahua, hope you don't mind me replying to your email but I have been a classroom assistant and understand what you are saying. Are there other assistants that could potentially work with the child instead of you? That is probably not an easy question to address with the senior management in your school. I am only recently diagnosed but have had dopa responsive dystonia since childhood. I find it generally hard working for local authority as they do not appear to understand. My head teacher loves to tell me how she sees nothing wrong with me.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds