donatenew

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cervical Dystonia arm tremour/spams

Cervical Dystonia arm tremour/spams 10 months 1 week ago #4123

• Jos
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you for responding, that's very kind of you. Pilates seems like a great thing to do, I do a fair amount of yoga, but the spasms got so bad, I was too embarrassed to continue going to the group so now I do it on my own, but it does help especially the focusing and meditating effect that helps me relax.

I was euphoric when I found this breathing technique helping,(breathing out of pursed lips) but now, after a week or so I'm finding that the only time I can keep my neck straight is to breathe through pursed lips(!) so I am blue once again, but your response made my day, I was hoping to be able to comiserate. :)

That's funny you mention your long hair helping, mine helps me too and I have always tended to play with it also(!) so I know what you mean about it camouflaging the discomfort. I've gotten into trouble, as well though, because men sometimes mistake it for flirting. I am so tired of having to explain myself to them, ugh.

What a great idea you have about working with animals. I hope that works out for you. I'm so happy you got yourself to the Donkey sanctuary, that helps me to imagine something other than my limited imaginings!

I'm trying to make a career change, too, and I'm afraid I'm back at the drawing board again, because my strength is PR---I love chatting and putting people at ease---but this problem makes me sullen and far from being able to do that anymore. It is a really, big problem. Anyway, here's hoping.

That's a good idea about the weights. I imagine they'll help: weight helps me with the spasms, too, as long as I do them carefully. That must be rough being that it interferes with your writing. It probably is something you've already tried, but my husband writes in several different positions, standing up, sitting in a good supported chair and then on one knee at a time on a cushion on the floor. It helps with carple tunnel issues and his back and posture.

Anyway, thanks again for making my day a little brighter. :)
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Jos. Reason: spelling
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cervical Dystonia arm tremour/spams 10 months 5 days ago #4131

• Jos
  • Junior Boarder
Hello fellow sufferers,

From the American Lung Association website, I wanted to share a quote regarding breathing below this paragraph. I've been practicing PLB (pursed lip breathing) which has been helping me whenever I have a moment to myself; it relaxes me and my spasm in my neck is reduced 50% which feels miraculous, frankly. I put the quote emphasise the fact breathing incorrectley or more accurately: inadequately, uses other muscles for breathing, chiefly interesting, the neck. I honestly think this is a key for helping people with dystonia. It's not a cure, clearly, but an easy way of coping.

About breathing:

"Over time, stale air builds up, leaving less room for the diaphragm to contract and bring in fresh oxygen. With the diaphragm not working to full capacity, the body starts to use other muscles in the neck, back and chest for breathing. This translates into lower oxygen levels, and less reserve for exercise and activity. If practiced regularly, breathing exercises can help rid the lungs of accumulated stale air, increase oxygen levels and get the diaphragm to return to its job of helping you breathe. "

And, as a result, I have found it simply puts me back in a centered good postural position all because I shift the use of the wrong muscles over to the right ones. Well, I hope this helps. My very best.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds