donatenew

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Alcohol

Alcohol 1 year 11 months ago #3814

• Paul
  • Senior Boarder
Hi all.
After around four months of battling with the classic symptoms of cervical dystonia I have made an observation.
If I consume a quantity of alcohol (I only drink larger), around 5 pints or so. The next day my symptoms are subdued by around 60%. My neck muscles still spasm and my head pulls to the right but far less than usual.
Sadly I know that this is not the answer. But it interests me all the same.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Alcohol 1 year 11 months ago #3815

• madge67
  • Junior Boarder
This one made me smile! ive had Dystonia for 8 years and taken different drugs and have Botox regularly! but the only one thing that will totally stop my neck turning is Alcahol! I find it most frustrating when I eat my meals! so always have a glass (or two) of wine with my food.. (apart from breakfast mind!) and like a miracle my neck doesn't turn! As my neurologist tells me this is a whole new problem! lol! but it makes me feel better if I eat with friends and family! so why not that's what I say! So yes I believe for me defiantly it makes a massive difference! so Thank you to the pinot grigio!
Take care

Alcohol 1 year 11 months ago #3839

• lindaf
  • Senior Boarder
Have a read around the subject of "Alcohol's effect on Neurotransmitters". I copy the following.

"C. FERNANDO VALENZUELA, M.D., PH.D.
Evidence suggests that alcohol affects brain function by interacting with multiple
neurotransmitter systems, thereby disrupting the delicate balance between inhibitory
and excitatory neurotransmitters. Short-term alcohol exposure tilts this balance in favor
of inhibitory influences. After long-term alcohol exposure, however, the brain attempts
to compensate by tilting the balance back toward equilibrium. These neurological
changes occur as the development of tolerance to alcohol’s effects. When alcohol
consumption is abruptly discontinued or reduced, these compensatory changes are no
longer opposed by the presence of alcohol, thereby leading to the excitation of
neurotransmitter systems and the development of alcohol withdrawal syndrome. Longterm
alcohol intake also induces changes in many neurotransmitter systems that
ultimately lead to the development of craving and alcohol-seeking behavior."

Its well known in the Dystonia field that the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA is implicated in many with the condition. That is why many have the drug Baclofen or the benzodiazepines prescribed. Unfortunately the benzos are addictive, in a similar way alcohol is.
Read up on GABA and other inhibitory neurotransmitters.

Linda

Alcohol 1 year 10 months ago #3868

• november21
  • Junior Boarder
I have noticed the same thing that alcohol helps immensely with my CD but also find the next day my symptoms feel twice as worse!!
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds