Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Depression and Dystonia

Depression and Dystonia 3 years 5 months ago #3224

• Matilda
  • Silver Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello everyone

I am curious to know if the Dystonia comes first or depression because of it.
What also happens when the treatment does not work. I have written a little bit about this here.

I would be very interested in any replies.

Thank you
Anna
www.dystonians.com
the support you need
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Matilda.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Depression and Dystonia 3 years 5 months ago #3225

• Tez
  • Silver Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
My Neurologist tells me that anxiety and depression are symptoms of dystonia. Also that stress and anxiety make the symptoms worse.

She also said that a third of patients improve with treatment, a third stabilise and third deteriorate despite treatment. I was diagnosed with generalised dystonia, dystonic tremor and myoclonus about 4 weeks ago and take clonazepam which is being increased. Add on propranolol at a later date, I already take sertraline but my first symptoms were tremor about 18 mths ago I had MRI brain scan, dat brain scan and nerve conduction tests before getting diagnosis as symptoms are similar to other conditions like Parkinson's.

Hope this helps

Ps not heard of the dystonians Webb site I'll check it out

Theresa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matilda

Depression and Dystonia 3 years 2 months ago #3365

• Supergran
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
tez I am interested in what you say about dystonia symptoms include depression. I have generalised dystonia and have worked so hard with the treatments and physio etc and have achieved a level of stability. This has come with disability aids to help life along and it has greatly helped but all of a sudden I feel disabled i feel embarrassed about the hand grip bars at the back door and in my shower I feel embarrassed and old and dont want anyone in my house to see this. My family are around but i dont think they see the disability bit and what is does to me....not so long ago I could not change my own bed or hoover and was offered help from my daughter if I could cook diner for her at the time the choice would have been chocolate,banana or strawberry complan because that was my diet at the time as I had swallow problems and was struggling to cope with eating....and I can not stop crying and stressing about my house being full of disability aids. I know I am being stupid and need to man up but I feel so alone right now.

Sorry for the depressing ramble but I aint feeling the love for life right now and I am not going on antidepressants. Also I am never good at this time of year as it is the anniversary of my breast cancer and I am celebrating 10 years in remission this year so again another ailment that is old news to everyone else but frightens the crap until I get past the anniversary every year. I want to celebrate with my family and asked them this weekend for a celebration and all I have done is give myself more to stress about because I know that this means more to me than anyone else.

Happy Days!!!!

Depression and Dystonia 3 years 2 months ago #3368

• Tez
  • Silver Boarder
Sorry I have replied 4 times and the message don't go through then I lose them, will keep trying

Depression and Dystonia 3 years 2 months ago #3369

• Tez
  • Silver Boarder
:(

Depression and Dystonia 3 years 2 months ago #3370

• Tez
  • Silver Boarder
:) now it seems to be working will summarise

Please don't hesitate to accept help in any form, I am taking sertraline which helps with the depression as anxiety, stress etc worsen the dystonia symptoms.

My neuro recommended that I reduce my hours at work, limit the amount of driving I do - so I've gone part time.

I feel for you re cancer my younger brother had a malignant brain tumour (runs in family) and he still struggles with the aftermath, he takes sertraline too. Obv this and Parkinson had to be ruled out for me with scan etc.

I have been a nurse for over 30 years so used to helping people but not accepting help for myself, it's very hard and family don't really understand.

I have one of my daughters, her husband, two children and three dogs staying with us at the moment and I'm shattered. I'm 58 BTW, my husband drives when we're together and does the food shopping and cooking which is great. Work are making adjustments for me and I've just applied for a blue badge so fingers crossed I've never applied for anything before ! The dystonia seems to be progressing for eg it now affecting my voice which has become weaker and croaky. I don't know what to expect next !!!!!

I would be at the dystonia group mtg today in maidstone but can't go obviously but they are very helpful.

I wish you all the best, look after yourself you are the most important person and expert in your condition. For me the tiredness, constant aches and balance probs are prob the worse, my tremor is not as noticeable with the propranolol and clonazepam so am doing ok ( I think ),

Kind regards

Theresa
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds