donatenew

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Calorie intake needed?

Calorie intake needed? 6 years 3 months ago #140

• Katilea
  • Silver Boarder
I've been working really hard to get better voluntary control over muscles and building up to been able to exercise as I was really struggling to lose weight.

I thought once the involuntary movements kicked in the weight would drop off me but my body seems to have gone into starvation mode.

I had gone to under 1000 a day before I was able to do some exercises and got my passive trainer bike. I've been able to burn up to 1,000 cals a day in exercise for first time but I'm still not losing.

Someone on a calorie count forum suggested I maybe burning much more than I think just getting through the day then exercise on top is creating a huge deficit and keeping body in starvation mode.

I won't lose until I can work out how many calories I am burning without the extra exercise.. I wondered if anyone has been told roughly how many extra calories they would burn or how much they should eat?

An average woman my age, height and weight would burn 1680 at sedentary level.. should I add extra calories for the equivalent of fidgeting all day on top of that? .. then just do the extra exercise to create a deficit to lose weight? I'm 2 and half stone overweight and its hugely embarrassing if I have to be lifted in public with chair (up steps etc) I've stopped going anywhere I might need assistance until I am lighter, so its severely affecting my social life as I havent left home since June.

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Calorie intake needed? 6 years 3 months ago #164

• jwb1969
  • Silver Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Katilea,
IMHO, Based on my experience with working out/dieting and knowledge of physiology. I don't think starvation mode is much of a factor. All diets and weight issues HAVE to abide by this equation. To lose weight you must consume less calories than you expend. If you eat more calories than you burn you WILL gain weight.

And if the stat you pulled for your body is you need 1680 sedentary(not including any exercise you are doing), you need to eat less than this. One thing you may consider is if you are only doing cardio, you add to your calories you expend. But you may consider doing strength exercises, and try to build some muscle mass. Now, this may seem odd 'adding' muscle mass. But the benefit is muscles burn twice as many calories than fat. AND your over all resting metabolism will be higher, meaning you will be burning more calories while NOT working out.

7 yrs ago I was in great shape for my build, lifting weights and running 10 miles per week. I was 170-175, then I became sedentary and then took on a job where I had to travel alot and ate "bad food". And my wieght shot up to 230lbs. Pretty big by my standards/body type.

Well, due to my OMD, OMD took the pleasure out of eating as it was hard, difficult, and embarrassing. My diet ended up being this, no Breakfast, no lunch, coffee pulled me through the day, and then a reasonable meal for dinner. and once or twice a week I would even eat bad/comfort food. And during this time all I did was walk ~2 miles.

Now everyone who exercises, or knows about diets, would call that a bad plan. Starving yourself won't work. Eating at night is bad since you go to bed right after. Ok, Dr's tell me how I got back down to 163lbs!. I have dropped the weight and did NOT yo-yo back. It's been off for a whole year. I still am on virtually the same diet, but a few days I may sneak in breakfast or lunch. Still at 163lbs.

Good luck on you diet,
James
---
My advice or suggestions is only from my intense research and my medical background learned via my father as an AF medic (20yrs) and my own self study. Additionally, from my OWN experience, since I ACTUALLY HAVE dystonia. Obviously you should consult a knowledgeable Dr in your area expertise...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katilea

Re: Calorie intake needed? 6 years 2 months ago #354

• Katilea
  • Silver Boarder
Hi James

Thanks for answering.. I don't remember receiving a notification for this reply, so only just seen it! :woohoo:

I'm not doing bad now.. I'm down to 11st 3 (157lbs) from 12st 7 (175lbs). My tummy has shrunk from 48" around widest area to 36 " and waist from about 38" to 32". My weight is all around my middle.. my arms and legs are still quite muscular, that maybe from the involuntary movements I'm not sure?

I've been working on my trunk strength as I think the Ataxia element weakened the trunk as had that 6 years before the involuntary movements started to become much more obvious.

I found cutting wheat has helped and being low carb in general, so for most meals I'm replacing potatoes and rice with stuff like butternut squash, swede mash, turnip chips, cauliflower 'rice'. I allow gluten free bread & Pitta's a few times a week as its higher cal than regular bread but love my scrambled egg on toast at weekend!

I'm 2 lbs off my half way mark.. which was to get to 11st for xmas.. and then I can lose the rest after for my new year's resolution!

I'm still not sure how many calories I SHOULD be eating... my BMR has gone down also now I've lost some weight, but I've been on 1200 cals most days with a few higher cal days thrown in so body doesn't think its starving.. I 've been having the higher cal days on the days I've managed a good exercise session 500-800 cal burn and lower on the days where I've struggled to have energy to do much. (my dog needs two walks a day before anything else gets done.. so all energy is perserved for that if I don't have much!).

But I'm doing ok.. once I get to 11 st I will have lost one and a half stone (21lbs?) exactly since June... I didn't want to be left with loads of saggy skin where plastic surgery was my only option, so I've been working on toning as I go with Pilates Core Exercises. .. luckily my arms and legs kind of get a workout on their own so I can focus on losing the tummy!!! I've gone from size 20 to a 16. :cheer:

Hope your doing well in your weight loss quest?

Kati

Re: Calorie intake needed? 6 years 2 months ago #357

• jwb1969
  • Silver Boarder
Try some of these online calorie calculator, that base their suggestions on gender, weight, height, and exercise level like here:

www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598

One thing to mention, you shouldn't strive for a magic goal some computer or dietitian spouts out to you. I think a more healthier approach is aiming for is a weight you feel ok with looks and energy wise. Like for me, when I went into a barber shop and kept seeing my bloated head starring back at me, I got tired of looking at that so I lost weight.

IMHO,
James
---
My advice or suggestions is only from my intense research and my medical background learned via my father as an AF medic (20yrs) and my own self study. Additionally, from my OWN experience, since I ACTUALLY HAVE dystonia. Obviously you should consult a knowledgeable Dr in your area expertise...

Re: Calorie intake needed? 6 years 2 months ago #359

• Katilea
  • Silver Boarder
Hi

Basically I just want to lose my tummy! That's where all my weight is, my arms and legs are quite strong and shapely.. probably from the muscle contractions.

My manual chair that I have to go in when someone takes me in car was made for my brothers wedding when I was smaller and has a sloped cushion to raise knees.. so last year when I used it to go out it was really uncomfortable with a big stomach squashed between my trunk and top of my knees... and as I got chronic back pain which triggered spasms too I couldn't sit in it long.as it was £2,500 I can't afford to replace it as its only used when people take me in their cars.. I mainly use electric one at home and around village.

I wanted to lose tummy and strengthen back so that chair is comfy to go out in for a few hours on the odd occasion I get to go out! .. as it is a very nice chair and was custom built for me... hoping to go xmas shopping in a few weeks which takes some serious strength and about 4 hours pushing myself around, I should burn some calories!! Hopefully it will be much more comfortable to use this year as entire trip is about 6 hours out with travel and stopping for lunch... I'll let you know after I've been!

I think I was about 10st when I had that chair made so got about another stone to go for it to fit me well again!

Kati

Re: Calorie intake needed? 6 years 2 months ago #360

• jwb1969
  • Silver Boarder
Strengthening the back can be done with a Roman Chair, I am not sure if you can use it with your mobility issues as the use of the roman chair is a bit demanding. Or I am sure you can Google gentler, easier back exercises.

As for losing weight at your tummy alone. That can not be done. It is impossible to lose weight in a targeted area.

Obviously, the only way to lose weight is if your caloric intake is less than you expend. That is the only way to lose weight, your body will lose weight all over and to the degree your genetics allow. Meaning people have genetic dispositions where their own body decides to store fat. For some it may be hips, tummy, chest, legs, or waist. So your genes control where your body prefers to store fat. Unfortunately we can not alter that.

For a generic example, most men store fat in their belly, first. While a lot of women tend to store fat in their hips or rear, first.

Another variation of this genetic effect. Some men, will actually have genes that causes them to store fat in their chest. Making them appear like they have "breasts". In fact on a few medical channels I have seen them, where after years of dealing with this issue, they decide to get liposuction or have the fat removed from their chest. But, if the patient starts to gain weight again, their body genes are programmed to put it right back on their chest.

Best of luck,
James
---
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds